Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Intouchables

It is the most popular French film in France and is now slowly taking over the world.
Hype can be a funny thing. There are films which come out that you hear so many good reports about a film that you almost feel as if you must enjoy it. While I did think 'The Intouchables' was a good film, I did not think it was as wonderful as everyone has been raving about. For me when I see a French film I have a certain expectation that they will take a fairly conventional story and make it feel fresh. Writers/directors Olivier Nakache and Eric Toledano have not done much to make the film unique. I admit that it is charming and a really feel good story but I think I just expected something more. I did like the inspirational story about not taking people at face value. One other criticism is that Driss's family life was not explored enough. To me it felt a little bit tacked on and was not intergrated well into the main story. Plus it felt very clichéd.
Francois Cluzet does an excellent job by doing very little. He is paralyzed so all the expression comes from his face and he cannot move. Francois manages to be expressive with very little movement. He leaves all the big movements up to his co-star Omar Sy. Omar is a whirlwind of energy in this film and gives it a great deal of its charm. He is brilliant in the role and is the biggest reason to see the film. I also liked Anne Le Ny who plays the housekeeper. 
I am in the minority here with my opinion so perhaps you should go judge it for yourself. For me it was a good film but not as great as everyone has been raving about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment