Monday, September 10, 2012

Holy Motors

With all the blockbusters we get in our cinemas, you often forget that film is an art form as well. I'm sure all film makers say they are making art but some films are more obviously arty than others.
I am often criticised (affectionately) by friends for the bizarre tastes I have in films. I wear this characterisation with pride. I like films that are unconventional and different to the norm. I also like films that are strange and unusual. However, there comes a point when things get too bizarre even for me. 'Holy Motors' is one such film. The film is about a guy who travels around Paris in a limousine performing in various scenarios. Some seem fairly normal or conventional but others are just plain weird. As I said I don't mind weird or bizarre films but I feel there must be some context for the behaviour. There could be some hidden meaning behind the film's weirdness but I just did not get it. I am usually able to understand what a film is about but this is one that just went over my head. I did not understand the context of what the 'performer' was doing what he was doing, why he was doing it and for who. At one point there is a hint that there could be cameras watching him, the implication being that he is performing 'for' someone, but for who? He does do some really strange things so there must be others in on the situation too. I have come to accept that people like to see and do bizarre things but I did not understand why someone would want to see what this man does. I'm sure the film is not set in our world but in one that exists in a parallel universe. But it is one I do not understand.
I must give credit to Denis Lavant for taking on this role. He must not only do some incredibly bizarre things but also undergoes many different make-up changes. Perhaps if I understood the film better I could appreciate what he was doing a bit more. I must also give respect to Eva Mendes for being part of this film. You would not expect a Hollywood actress like her to be a part of a film like this, especially considering she has to perform in the film's strangest scene. Kylie Minogue does a good job too but like the rest of the film I was not able to pick up on what her scene was trying to say. 
If someone could go see this film and possibly explain it to me then it might help. Bizarre does not even begin to describe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment