Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Project X

The 'found footage' trend continues with this ultimate party movie. It is because of this that I was not planning to see the film. But I heard so many divisive opinions that I felt I should check it out.
My opinion of this film is very much divided.On the one hand I think the film was very well made. It is one of the few times that the 'found footage' idea works for the material and story presented. I was not put off my the rough camera work. It was very effective for the finale as well. That said finale is quite a sight to behold as the party gets completely out of control. I think that sequence was brilliantly handled by director Nima Nourizadeh.
On the other hand I found the subject of the film to be incredibly scary. Teenagers are constantly demonised by society and if there was ever a film to support that idea it would be this one. They are portrayed as reckless and insensitive with no regard for anyone else. This film celebrates that attitude and glorifies it. I also found it scary to think how easily something like this could happen. Any suburban street is vulnerable to this type of attack. The party gets so out of hand so very easily that you can see it happening anywhere. Then there is misogynistic attitude towards women. Women in this film are only there to look pretty and be the object of lust. I cannot believe that in this day and age, boys still think of women that way and that film makers can get away with making a film that celebrates that kind of behaviour. I know it is just a film that should not be taken seriously but I think it is wrong that teenagers are portrayed this way. Not all are like that. It sends the wrong message to other generations of how they really are.
Our three lead characters in this film are some of the worst characters on film. Thomas is the type of sweet, nerdy character that we are meant to sympathise with as he watches his simple party get out of control. However he is taking advice from one of the most obnoxious people to ever be put on film so Thomas as a character looses all credibility. Thomas Mann does a good job as Thomas in the sweetness department. Oliver Cooper plays the ultra obnoxious Costa very well. You come to hate this guy so very much. Jonathan Daniel Brown is the best actor as the put upon JB. While he is easily led, it suits his character.
If there was ever a film made that defines a generation then this is it. It is a good use of the 'found footage' format but sadly the subject matter is scary and frightening for all the wrong reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment