Friday, December 30, 2011

The Adventures Of Tintin

Two of Hollywood's most popular directors come together to bring to life the works of Belgian writer and artist Herge.
I have known of Tintin most of my life. I have seen his books but never read them. I'm not sure why. Maybe I've found other things to read but these books have never grabbed my interest. I'm beginning to think though that I should have read the books. I'm going to get a lot of criticism for this problem I have. I have no problem with a film that is fast paced and action packed like this one is, however, it should never come at the expense of character development. I know that Tintin is a reporter but I would have liked to have known a bit more about him. Where his sense of adventure comes from and how he came to be a reporter. They could have maybe had him contact his editor. Where does the money come from that lets him travel the world as extensively as he does? He seems to be quite young for someone with so much experience. There are the Thompson twins as well. Where do they come from? Who do they work for? What is their relationship to Tintin? I'm probably asking far too many questions and maybe thinking about it too much but that's what happens when I see a movie.
Otherwise this is an excellent film. It is by far and away the best use of motion-capture I've seen for a fully animated film (this does not include films where a character or characters are animated in a live-action film). Robert Zemekis, who has made many films in this format, had the problem of trying to dazzle you with 3D looking scenes and not caring about story or making the action exciting. Steven and Peter have managed to make a thrilling and exciting film that has some of the best action sequences. The fact they are working in animation seems to have let them move the camera more. A motorbike chase was my favourite sequence. The story is also very well written (aside from character) and it moves quite quickly which is very good. The action comes thick and fast which makes for a very thrilling action adventure film.
Jamie Bell, despite having little character to work with has done an excellent job with Tintin. He makes him a likable hero that you could easily follow in an adventure. While the script lacks some back story this is not Jamie's fault. Andy Serkis is the master of motion-capture. He can make any character fun and exciting. Luckily he is the only one whose character of Haddock has a history that is explored in the film so we learn more about him. This makes him by far the most well rounded character in the film. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have worked together so often that they make a great bumbling duo. This helps to make their chemistry work for the characters. But as I mentioned above, I'd like to have known more about them. Daniel Craig does not get to play a villain very often so he seems to relish the chance here. He makes a very nasty villain.
My over worked mind may have ruined the film for me a bit. It is still an excellent action adventure film and certainly one of the year's best animated films.

No comments:

Post a Comment