Tuesday, March 1, 2011

No Strings Attached

Last year Hollywood was making romantic comedies on a similar theme of a person finding out their lover is a killer. This year it seems the theme is friends who have sex.
Ivan Reitman is certainly an excellent director of comedy and he has chosen well with this film. I will admit that it's not a terribly brilliant comedy and the concept may not have been explored as much as it could but it is still a very enjoyable film. To me I think you need to be a certain type of person to have a sex only relationship with a friend. I believe there are people (some I know) who can have sex just for fun or sex and not be emotionally involved. I'm not one of those people. Emma (Natalie Portman) comes across as the type of person who can use sex just for fun and is so busy that she need a release. However Adam (Ashton Kutcher) is the type of person looking for love. In some ways I think they are both wrong for getting into this type of relationship, because if this was real life it would have ended badly. I know this from experience. Once again though I think I'm a lot softer in my criticism of romantic comedies.
After the darkness of 'Black Swan' it is great to see Natalie do something fun. She has great comedic timing and can be hilarious. She is so brilliant in this film and you come to love her. On the other hand we have Ashton Kutcher who does nothing but light romantic comedies. Ashton is stuck in a rut with his choice of films and is disappointing as I think he can do better. Usually the support cast of friends are the highlight of most romantic comedies and that is the case here. Sadly we don't see enough of them. Kevin Kline is quite funny and makes you wish we could see him more often.
A little unbelievable in its concept but still a nice light romantic comedy that is better than most. We'll have to see if Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake do any better later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment