Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Graduate


The Chauvel Cinema is once again playing some old classics. I'm ashamed to say that this is one classic I've never seen before.
This is one of those films that has been referenced and sent up in many films and TV series I've seen. While I knew of the references I never knew their context. So it was good to see it for that reason. It is also a film that is so highly respected as one of the best comedies ever written that I had to see it for that reason. I'm also pleased that I got to see it on the big screen as was intended rather than at home. I'm glad to say that film did live up to my expectations. I sometimes find that older films are so revered that you had to have watched it at the time of initial release but his film holds up very well. The story is very funny and could have been set at any time. The dialogue is full of really clever and witty dialogue. The characters are quite funny too and they are very believable. I really liked the soundtrack too with Paul Simon's songs. My only complaint would be that the same songs are used too often. I would have liked a few more different songs.
Lately we have not seen much of Dustin Hoffman so it is great to see some of his earlier work. He is so perfect as the nervous young man struggling to find his way in the world. Dustin is hilarious and very endearing. I've mostly known Anne Bancroft as the wife of one of my favourite comedians Mel Brooks. But I do know she is a remarkable actress in her own right. Which this film proves. She is so cool and sophisticated as the older woman Mrs. Robinson that seduces a younger man. You know that she is more than just a bored housewife who needs a thrill that her husband is not providing. I think the chase she has to make to get Ben.
One of those classic films that stands the test of time. Clever witty and containing some hilarious performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment